Seeds of Literacy is run by a very small team thanks in large part to a veritable army of volunteers. Each member of the staff is curious, creative, and passionate about Adult Literacy. They aren’t afraid to jump in and assist in other areas. They are self-directed, expert problem-solvers and trouble-shooters, and they value clear communication to make the operation work. If these are qualities you possess and you are interested in joining the Seeds Family, check out our job postings below.
***BENEFITS BEYOND COMPENSATION***
Full-time employees are eligible for a robust benefits package which includes:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision (includes majority-paid premiums by the employer: employee weekly contribution less than $30.)
- Flexible Health Spending Account
- 401(k) + match
- Life and Disability Insurance
- 17 Paid Holidays (Indicated by Offices Closed)
- Paid Vacation Days
- Paid Sick Days
The benefits package has a monetary value equivalent of an additional 30% of the employee’s salary.
Some positions may offer flexible schedules after 90 days of exemplary performance, and all staff enjoy a variety of free books from our many wonderful donors.
Please read each description carefully before applying. Applications will only be accepted through Indeed.com unless otherwise stated below. If the position is expired on Indeed, but still listed below, it remains unfilled.
***None of our positions are remote. We are located in Cleveland, Ohio. Relocation not provided.***
Student Engagement Coordinator (full-time)
Hours: Full Time
Salary: $38,000 – $41,000
The Student Engagement Coordinator provides all incoming students with an introduction to Seeds of Literacy and guides them through the intake process. It is the responsibility of the Student Engagement Coordinator to ensure new students are prepared when they enter the classroom. This position is responsible for our virtual evening class, which takes place on Zoom.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Facilitate orientation for all incoming students weekly.
- Contact prospective students and assist them with registration.
- Communicate with students following orientation through phone and email until they begin class.
- Effectively engage students through the orientation process and beyond.
- Enter and review data related to retention and attrition of students.
- Maintain and demonstrate up-to-date knowledge of student curriculum, HSE exams, and other learning materials.
- Collaborate with Program staff to ensure information presented is current.
- Familiarize yourself with students’ background, knowledge, experience and skills. Works with students to understand their goals and interests.
- Communicates organizational policies and procedures regarding student learning.
- Appropriately utilize and administer standardized tests. Review and explain test results with students.
- Connect students to outside community-based organizations to help students facing barriers outside of Seeds’ reach through resources such as UniteUs and United Way.
- May be involved in the planning, organization, and implementation of special events or department-specific projects or seasonal program changes.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Education or related field.
- Experience with Google Suites and Microsoft Office necessary.
- Proficient experience with Zoom.
- Ability to professionally present program materials to prospective students, and to effectively communicate and coordinate programming.
- Compassion and understanding for others.
- Strong customer service skills and non-profit experience preferred.
- Strong leadership skills with ability to motivate and encourage others.
- Ability to work with, communicate with, and teach a diverse population of students.
Evening Site Coordinator (part-time)
Monday through Thursday 4:00pm-8:00pm, flexible hours on some Fridays and Saturdays.
Pay: $21.00 – $24.00 per hour
Seeds West: 3104 W 25th Street, Cleveland, OH 44109
$21.00 – $24.00 per hour
The Evening Site Coordinator (SC) serves as both a classroom manager and lead teacher, formulating, communicating and evaluating clear learning goals for students and pairing them with our volunteer tutors. The SC oversees and manages the evening class which includes student instruction, student and tutor supervision, and detailed student progress/achievement record keeping.
- Bachelor’s degree in education or related field.
- Knowledge of adult education and family literacy.
- Computer skills including Microsoft Office (Excel, Word).
A person most likely to be successful in this position is:
- A passionate educator who is excited to help others achieve their educational goals
- A person who is empathetic with a non-judgmental approach and style
- Someone who can manage a diverse group of people, pairing students with tutors based on students’ needs and tutors’ strengths
- Someone who is able to accommodate different learning styles
- A person who is familiar with a variety of instructional techniques
- A creative problem solver who can help students overcome obstacles academic and otherwise
- Someone who has strong computer skills, including experience using Zoom as well as Google Suite
- Someone who can communicate effectively with coworkers and students
- A team player who is willing to dive in and assist with other related tasks
- A person who is highly motivated, understands their role, and can jump right in
Applications will only be accepted through Indeed.com unless otherwise stated below. If the position is expired on Indeed, but still listed, it remains unfilled.
Gain real-world experience at Seeds!
NON-PROFIT GENERALIST INTERN
This opportunity is project-based and will rotate throughout departments for full exposure to the management of a literacy-focused nonprofit organization. Interns will work with leadership positions on volunteer engagement, grant research, social media advertising, community partnerships, and any special events.
Potential projects could include:
- creation of satisfaction surveys and compiling feedback of current and past volunteers
- developing lists of social media handles for local, regional, and national government officials, literacy agencies, and referral sources
- brainstorming and creation of social media campaign and content ideas to achieve student recruitment goals
- identify potential partnerships in key sectors: workforce, health, post secondary ed, training, and work to develop a referral system to produce a resource to be given to students at graduation
- assist with logistics and execution of special events (tutor training, professional development workshops, etc)
- Undergraduate senior or above, pursuing nonprofit management, education, social work, or other related field
- Writing samples demonstrating excellent communication skills
- Skilled at listening and responding effectively
- Skilled using Google Suite (Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms), Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint), and the ability to learn new software
- Working knowledge of social media advertising preferred
- Flexible hours typically Monday through Friday, 8:30pm – 5pm
- Free books!
TO APPLY: For consideration, please email a letter of interest, along with any writing samples, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
*All Seeds of Literacy staff and volunteers are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Requests for medical and/or religious exemptions from the vaccination requirement will be considered on an individual basis, to the extent required by law.*